 Pirates / 4596
Re: The RTS Zavala Steamship-of-War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2008 04:46:05 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:

Awesome work, Kurt.

I am glad you liked it!

A great model of a vessel from an interesting but oft overlooked period. (Which is odd, because as you demonstrate, the length/width ratio of vessels was changing to a more LEGO-friendly one).

The ability to build the hull is what lead me down the trail to the briar-patch of design issues in building the Zavala, OK so I had fun...

The early fast packet steamships (see packet ships) wanted to go as fast as possible, to achieve this they made their in-the-water hull very long and narrow. Why? because the speed of a hull through the water is proportional to a constant (called a Froude number) times the squareroot of the length of the hull at the “moving” (not resting) waterline divided-by the width of the hull (ie. drag). The Zavala was built in 1836 as a “fast” (for her time) packet steamship named the Charleston she had a hull waterline width (beam) of 24 feet and a waterline length of ~190 feet, ie. very long and narrow. However from port outside paddle-wheel shell to outside starboard paddle-wheel shell (measured from the scaled drawing) was ~50 feet. The scale of my model was set by the width of the hull center pieces (16 studs) with two rows of inverted slopes on each side (16 + 4 = 20 studs) (see the reply I made above about scale). The “paddles” are a 2x8 plate with holes, in a 9 stud inside width paddle-wheel shell, so 11 studs outside width paddle-wheel shells, overlapping one stud with the side of the hull, means a overall width of 40 studs.

Spotlighted!

Thanks!

Cheers

Richie DulinÂÂÂ