 Pirates / 4593
Re: The RTS Zavala Steamship-of-War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:48:11 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, John P. Henderson wrote:

Wonderful job Kurt!

Thanks!

   Your scale is massive compared to the “set scale” of my shipbuilding.

The RTS Zavala is approximately minifig scale, it’s 1.2 feet per stud.

   What was the build-time for this?

I worked on it off and on over the last 2 1/2 years.

I’m particularly impressed that you were able to base this on hull pieces and yet the scale still works.

The scale was set by the width of the hull center pieces with two rows of inverted slopes on each side. That set the beam width width, and on the original Zavala that beam width was 24 feet.

Working off of the drawing from the INA article:

I then could know the length and width of the model in studs, I could then figure out how many hull center sections.

   I too like the ship’s bell...

It’s neat isn’t it!

   Is there a detailed below-decks perchance?

The masts rise from the Orlop deck (“keel”/hull pieces), The fireboxes under the boilers (air tanks) start here and go up through the Mess deck which is complete from bow to stern with holes with ladderways and steering reduction gears (look at those photos), however there is no details on the Mess deck (you can’t even see much of the boilers).

The Gun is fully outfitted with 24 cannons on wheels each tied off with rope to 4081b’s in the hull.

That you did the technic work for the engines and rudder even with the investment of time and brick for the model itself only further impresses. And of course an ode to one of my old favorites - Clive Cussler...

I will surely refer back to your pics for further inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

-Hendo

Glad you enjoyed the model!