 Pirates / 3922
Re: Narrow boat hull middle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 19:37:42 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:

I think a reasonable centre section can be constructed from bricks, plates and inverse slopes (IIRC the secret is putting the inverse slopes under a plate, not on top). It’s not a perfect match, but can be reasonably convincing. Using bricks also lets you have centre sections other then eight studs long.

My Revenge uses a four stud centre section, and looks quite acceptable to me (noticeable, yes). YMMV of course.

Three of my four ships that have hull sections have center sections made out of bricks. Inverted slope pieces to be exact. I put them under the plate on two of my ships, and another, The Freedom has the plate very close to the bottom, and it makes for a good storage compartment for cargo. I think the brick made center sections look fine.

   Two would seem a bit too long, but you never know... particularly if you’re at the more modern end of the scale. (I’d mentioned a schooner I have planned, but Port Brique isn’t delivering much of late).

Idk if two is too long. On The Freedom (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=80575), I used a regular center section and I think 6 studs long of bricks, so it’s almost 2 sections long, but not quite. It looks fine, although I did widen it a bit with blue slope pieces on the side (SNOT style).

Daniel