 Pirates / 3918
Re: Narrow boat hull middle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 06:22:05 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   I think a reasonable centre section can be constructed from bricks, plates and inverse slopes (IIRC the secret is putting the inverse slopes under a plate, not on top). It’s not a perfect match, but can be reasonably convincing. Using bricks also lets you have centre sections other then eight studs long.

I had totally forgotten, something I have done before also - The ol’ Fido uses a two-stud wide centre section, and it blends in quite well IMO ,the trick is to get the colours to match smoothly.

Perhaps another subject in the mythical ship-building techniques thread? :P

   My Revenge uses a four stud centre section, and looks quite acceptable to me (noticeable, yes). YMMV of course.

   On a more general note, how often do people use narrow centre-sections? Even with one it can get a bit canoey unless you build up right IMO.

My bomb ketch Fantine is a single centre section vessel, and has (I think) nice proportions. You could even delete the mortar and add a foremast if you wanted.

Beautiful of course, and deadly at long range too!

   Two would seem a bit too long, but you never know... particularly if you’re at the more modern end of the scale. (I’d mentioned a schooner I have planned, but Port Brique isn’t delivering much of late).

I remember combining two Armada flagships when I was just starting out in pirates (an embarrassingly short time ago). There was a model I’d rather forget ;)

My building techniques don’t seem to lend themselves as well to relatively modern sailing ships...

Michael