 Pirates / 3380
  what makes us different?

as i have been surfing around other newsgroups, and searching brickshelf, i have come to the conclusion that there are very few good examples of sailing vessels from the era that we build for. DUH, you might say, which is true, but why is that so? i (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) I reckon there are a few reasons: 1. Building decent ships is a challenge, and tends to involve some difficult to find parts. 2. There is less popular culture inspiration for piratic stuff than for space (or even castle or town). 3. There is a (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) Hear Hear! great coverage of all the issues. you make some very powerful points. just to add my own to your thoughts: building ships is a challenge, the parts are relatively scarce, and when they do come up, they can be expensive. what puzzles (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) Big Snip! (...) Hi Guys, Nice Discussion! I agree with most of what's been said. I think that ship building requires that you adhere to certain accepted standards or people won't accept it as a ship! In space you can pretty much build anything (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) Hi all, Just a few thoughts from outside .pirates. There are some good points here, especially the first one. Right now, if I wanted to get into Pirate building there is only one set available from TLC, and that's at $90. While they're not (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) I agree that the BSB is the best, my BSB is still mostly intact (though the red gun port lids have been replaced by white ones... the red being needed elsewhere). My BSB is scheduled for a rebuild, to modernise it a bit - and upgun it alot. I (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) That's a large part of why I like building .pirate's stuff. It is a challenge, but it's rewarding. I was pleased when Kenneth Tam commented that the Eponine II "seems to have the smooth lines typical of a French frigate" or when challenged (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) There's also the not-so-negligible oversight that Brickshelf doesn't even have a checkbox for Pirate photos/folders/MOCs !! (Star Wars fans don't have one either, but they just use Space) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) I've begun to think that the rigging is often as limiting as the hull pieces. The rigging is the weakest part (in all interpretations of weakest) of the Misérable, but I think I've come up with some solutions for the future (though they may (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

(...) snip (...) HaHa... I expected a retort along that line from you! But in my lego world, the pirates have the edge! Civilized nations of any nationality live in fear of them. Be warned... :-P Cheers to you too! Tom (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote good stuff. Drawing on a particular thread, I found that one arrived at a point where there were few dimensions left to extend. I like the hulls, and haven't found snotwise work very satisfactory for sailing (...) (21 years ago, 11-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: what makes us different?

In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe wrote: <snip> (...) I might just take that to heart. All the stuff I see posted on pirates is cool, but out of my league brick-&-skillwise, so I generally build smaller stuff. Current project is a Spanish caravel, (...) (21 years ago, 12-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: what makes us different?

In lugnet.pirates, Richard Parsons wrote some good thoughts on some bits-n-pieces that would suit .pirate fans: (...) I could take-or-leave square lattices, but 2h windows would be great (fences are not that great), and 4h windows would be pretty (...) (21 years ago, 13-Jul-03, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)