 Pirates / 2952
Re: Which is better-Red or Blue?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 03:21:25 GMT

Hello!

In lugnet.pirates, Sean Devolites writes:
Which do you think was the
better line of sets-The Imperial Guards line (red guys) of the earlier
Soldiers line (blue guys). I don't think Armada needs to be mentioned
because of the lack of sets, but if you like them the best you can vote for
them to.

Well, I like the earlier blue guys the better than the red guys. Maybe
mostley because I've got more of the blue than of the reds. And the red
Soldiers are just replications of the blue Soldiers which I than found was a
bit poor...

Indeed the blue guys can be identified with French Soldiers after around
1790. The LEGO Pirates line started in 1989 and this was the year when the
French Revolution had its 200th anniversary. Maybe this was a reason to
choose French Soldiers for opponent to the Pirates.

The Armada sets had potential: had they been released at the exact same time
as the islanders, and they could have been named "Conquistadores" to form
their own theme.

I'd really appreciated the Conquistadores as full elaborated line. Those
Spaniards seem to be most at home at the height of Piracy in the Caribbean
Sea. In this time (from 1500 to about 1650) the Conquistadores shipped their
stolen treasures home to Spain and were attacked by mostly English
freebooters like (Sir) Francis Drake. This is what I've in mind when I think
of "Pirates in the Caribbean". On that score the Armada soldiers are my
favourite line.

When I see the red English soldiers I do not think of piracy between the
Greater and Lesser Antilles but of pirates in the South Pacific 150 years
later. The Islanders fit in there as well. So it is of course a pirate theme
but not my favourite.

Bye
Jojo