 Pirates / 2944
Re: Which is better-Red or Blue?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:22:35 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Pedro Silva writes:
I'll divide my vote: the best sets were those of the guards, the Imperial
Trading Post is considerably better than the Eldorado Fortress. BUT I do
prefer the blue uniforms...

Agreed.

I used to give them blue legs, though - with
white legs they look too "french" for my taste ;-)

Not so sure about this.... blue legs?

Portuguese Infantry during the Peninsular Wars... ;-)

Or, indeed (after a little googling), Napoleonic French light infantry ;-)

White is definitely consistent with French - as would be red and yellow.

Red is OK for the later 19th century (1870), but yellow? Maybe in Africa, I
dunno...

I'll have to get back to you on that one (google was not my friend for
yellow pants!). I recall seeing French soldiers in yellow pants in the
(2000?) French movie of Les Miserables, and checking it for accuracy
afterward. Can't remember the reference, though.

As well as white, red, blue and -possibly- yellow for French, tan is also a
possiblity (horse artillery, cavalry?).

(I tried using yellow legs, but it just looked like they'd forgotten to put
their pants on!).

What about with white or blue hips, and yellow legs? Does it work?

ROFL!

"Too french"? ROFL!

Well, huh... yes! :-)

The Armada sets had potential: had they been released at the exact same time
as the islanders, and they could have been named "Conquistadores" to form
their own theme.

I like combining Armada helms with traditional knightly armour for that
proper conquistador look.

The breastplates are very small... if they had the same look as the ones
from castle, it would be much better (IMO).

Yes. That's what I meant - I've used the traditional castle armour (not the
chrome armada armour) with the morion helm for conquistadors.

Also, the breastplate printed torso from the Fright Knights sets go well
with the morion helm for conquistadors, once the traditional castle armour
runs out.

Richie