 People / 843
Re: Tension and getting mean
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:43:44 GMT

In lugnet.people, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.people, Tom McDonald writes:
Hi Jude (cool name BTW, I've always liked it)

Don't be afraid...  ;-)

Sorry.  I guess you get that a lot.  <:-, STYLE="SHEEPISH" />

Bah..

Is Lego not a toy for our enjoyment?
Absolutely. Such filthy postings spoil what can be rather fun and interesting
reading.[1]
[1] Except for Jeremy Sproats' posts ;-,

Arg!  A touch, I do confess!  :-,

Nah.. I only kid cuz I know you can take it.

I wonder if I've been to high on my horse lately.  (If you have to ask, no, I
haven't been smoking a horse...how do you even fit it into the pipe?)  I mean,
it looks like I've been poking my nose into other peoples' behavior, and
trying to play a net.cop without taking any of the responsibility to tone
down my own words.  It certainly feels that way.

Pass here that pipe please.. I have no idea what you just said so obviously
I'm not toasted enough yet.

I certainly haven't been contributing to the on-topic newsgroups as much as I
have the off-topic ones.

I went through that phase too. I decided to avoid .debate like the .plague
because I thought maybe I'd be more prone to trade with someone if I didn't
know they ate only mildew and lichen[1], and worshiped dung beetles.
Similarly, I avoid .fun regularly now too simply because it took too much
energy and time.

And my posts in the on-topic groups tend to become more
and more off-topic.  I fear that I am contributing heavily to the noise on
LUGNET.  (Which I *still* prefer over the noise on rtl, which is no excuse...)

It's not about noise per se IMO. It's about "playing well" (that old hackneyed
saw). But should we discuss your noise, in the on-topic groups, it's largely
about how you've adapted Lego to other facets in your life, such as your
gaming, spaceships, military stuff, blah, etc., all relatable-to-Lego things..
not whether or not someone is a jerk.

Which saddens me, 'cause I'm a big-time believer in LUGNET and the people
within this community.  I'm Compartmentalized Dork #235 and very very happy
about that.

Thank you Logan 5. Please report to Carousel.

And perhaps this is why I inadvertently tried to take on the net.cop role, is
that I realize that as LUGNET grows larger and larger, the culture gap between
it and rtl will slowly but surely diminish.  In this process, the noise level
can only increase, I'm afraid --

All the more reason that Lugnet rules bare repeating at the early stages of
offense.

which makes me more and more grateful that Todd set up the .off-topic.*
groups early on, to give us all a channel to vent non-Lego ideas into.

Yes. And perhaps .flames should be briefly considered?  Oops.. time's up!

But even as the noise level increases, it's *still* amazingly easy to discuss
and follow exactly what Lego-related ideas we want, with who we want, because
of the "compartmentalization".

Yup. Just like finding the right Lego piece in a small parts drawer. Thanks
again Todd!

And LUGNET has this wonderful search engine.

(Tom inserts wonderful, sweeping, swelling orchestral music here..)

To try this level of flexability -- nay, freedom -- with rtl typically
requires the use of some fairly sophisticated newsreader software and a good
understanding of prior traffic patterns in the newsgroup.  No problem for
elitist power-users, but the typical user gets left behind in rtl.  Chats with
a bunch of power-nerds is fine, I do that every day at work, but I'd rather
discuss Lego stuff with a larger group.

(Small musical bridge.. into D major)

So, TMALSSTL (1) I'm willing to accept an occasional noise burst in a group,
because overall it becomes insignificant.

Yep.. no use losing sleep over it.

Todd and Suzanne have given really us a great gift of community with LUGNET.

(Climatic upsweep and cymbal crash!)

I guess this was something of a windy, • [2]
rembling message as well.  Was it even
on-topic for .people?  Was it even more windy than Tom's?  I dunno.  But hands
down, I win the prize for rambling.  :-,

Here's your 7 foot tall stuffed Tweety bird, mister..

1.  "To Make A Long Story Short (Too Late!)"  (2)

2.  Hey Shiri!  A new acronym!  :-,

Her name is Shirki.. get it right.

-Tom McD.
when replying, early 45 rpm record spindle adapters were packaged with
spamcake snowball treats.

[1] BTW, I like to liken lichen to likable foods.
[2] Is that windy, as in Gale Storm, or windy as in Zig-Zag?