 People / 840
Re: Tension and getting mean
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 19:53:35 GMT

Hi Jude (cool name BTW, I've always liked it)

Long ramble ahead, but..

"Hey.. it's me!" - Han Solo

In lugnet.people, Jude Beaudin writes:
Is it my imagination, or people getting meaner in 'heated' discussions
not started in off-topic.debate. Mladen's Mecha Legs, Nelug's age limitation
are recent examples.

Your imagination has been the cause of all this? I'd hate to see you cross
over to the Dark Side ;-)

I understand the ability and need to express diverging views but insulting,
yelling and swearing seem to becoming more common.

Firstly, I find it irritating, but it's also inconvenient to weed it out. All
such communication is a total waste of bandwidth here, as it communicates
nothing about Lego, so it's also a waste of everyone else's time and energy.

Secondly (and in the larger picture), it lowers the reputation of this place
en todo[0], which is something I'd rather not see. I came here mostly because
RTL generally grew void of manners and maturity.

If I were a paying Lugnet member, I'd shout to not have the rules violated by
someone who wasn't a member because I expect for the money I send that the
rules will remain as advertised until further notice, at which time I could
terminate my membership.

From the above, you might correctly derive that I'm not a paying member, and
as such, I watch to see what might be done about such incidents. In such
cases, firstly I'd rather see a public post to a suspect individual reminding
him of the rules. Some get really bent out of shape about it for fear of
publicly losing face, but chances are they had little or none to begin with,
and it's really the best first step so that others can see that something is
being done. It's only fair to those who take the time, care, and pain to abide
by the rules. BUT.. if the individual has done nothing wrong, then he's really
lost nothing at all, and would even be within etiquette to ask for a publicly
posted apology. The only truly ashamed individuals I've met were those who had
something to be ashamed about. And to conclude this little thought, my
possible membership is dependent on what is/will be done in such cases.

Does this mean the "honeymoon" is over for Lugnet?

I think this is a short-lived trend that comes and goes. While some folks
might think that they can continue to post *anything* they want, even under
the cover of "Sorry, but I was really upset at the time", the reality is that
Lugnet is a privately held forum with rules agreed upon by all who
participate, which includes limitations on what's said according to group
rules (i.e., on-topic discussions only), and language that is deemed by all
fit to read.

The reason I say "short-lived" is because it is the responsibility of the
folks who read certain groups to stand up for those rules when they are
violated if they wish to see those rules kept. I think those rules eventually
will be enforced, should the situation get out of hand (if it isn't already).
It's been done before, and it'll probably be done again.

As a side note, I'm not yelling at anyone for not feeling like policing a
group, and not doing it, but it is the fastest way to get results from the
administrator who has precious little time to do it for us.

Is Lego not a toy for our enjoyment?

Absolutely. Such filthy postings spoil what can be rather fun and interesting
reading.[1]

I don't like the way things are going.

I had written a[nother] big ol' windy paragraph, but I'm knocking it down to
this: if you're upset, write your post. Let the blue adjectives, adverbs and
nouns fly. I ain't gonna tell ya how to feel. I couldn't have an impact
anyway. Go out and throw rocks at your garbage can or something else legal.
After you've done that, don't post it. Instead, delete your would-be post and
write something rational in a new post.

But if you're emotional and resort to name-calling and other childish things,
go out and play on your swingset some more. I, and others from what I read,
didn't join any Lugnet group to read about people's possible questionable
parentage, bodily functions, or any other intended personal insult. And
largely, I don't really care how someone feels about someone else, and don't
wanna read about it.. it ain't my business.

Let me know if I posted this to the appropriate group so Shiri does not have
to when she returns.

This is an appropriate place.

After all she is gonna be busy redirecting all the miss directed posts.:-)

That sounds like re-finding all the dishes and silverware after someone's been
house-sitting for you :-)

-Tom McD.

[0] Not Dorothy's little dog, but "all Lugnet groups collectively"
[1] Except for Jeremy Sproats' posts ;-,