 People / 836
Re: Tension and getting mean (How to deal with it & what it means)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:36:05 GMT

Some Heinlein on this matter, for those of you that care about common
courtesty, and what it may say about the decline of a civilization:

"Courtesy is the lubricant of social interaction."

"Jubal Harshaw also pointed out to me a symptom that, so he says, invariably
precedes the collapse of a culture: a decline in good manners, in common
courtesy, in a decent respect for the rights of other people. 'Political
philosophers from Confucius to the present day have repeatedly pointed this
out. But the first signs of this fatal symptom may be hard to spot. Does it
really matter when an honorific is omitted? Or when a junior calls a senior by
his first name, uninvited?'"

I understand the ability and need to express diverging views but insulting,
yelling and swearing seem to becoming more common.

That and a lack of a sense of humor.

Does this mean the "honeymoon" is over for Lugnet?

No, it just means that those that would stay above this fray must do just
that, stay above the fray.

The signal to noise ratio on Lugnet remains very high compared to other open
systems on the web.

Deal with these posts in the same fashion that radio operators are trained to
deal with jammers; Do not communicate or attempt to over-power them.  Doing so
only contributes to, and leads to more of the behaviour that you want to
stop.  Ignore them and they will go away on their own.  Flame wars go away if
you refuse to participate.

And if they do not go away then the person attempting to conduct a one-person
flame war will look like even more of a jackass.

Is Lego not a toy for our enjoyment?

Sadly, some people find joy in doing negative things.  I would not take that
away from them, but I do choose to not participate in their ugliness.

I don't like the way things are going.

Nor do I.  My response to it, however (other than this one posting) will be to
ignore it.  I will not read their postings, I may kill-file some of the kill-
joys, and I most definitely will not engage in direct debate on the topics at
hand.

Will

P.S.  Further, none of what any of them have said about copyright law should
be relied upon by anyone for any reason.  And yes, IAAL.