 People / 835
Re: Tension and getting mean
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:05:34 GMT

In lugnet.people, Jude Beaudin writes:
Is it my imagination, or people getting meaner in 'heated' discussions
not started in off-topic.debate. Mladen's Mecha Legs, Nelug's age limitation
are recent examples.

Definitely not your imagination.  I have noticed the same thing and have even
spoken with people (including Todd) about it off-line.  I find it quite
disturbing and I hope it is just a "phase" and LUGNET will grow out of it soon.

I understand the ability and need to express diverging views but insulting,
yelling and swearing seem to becoming more common.

I don't mind discussing issues where not everyone agrees.  For that matter I
think things would be pretty boring if everyone agreed all the time.  But you
are right.  Because I am a member of NELUG I felt like I was right in the
middle of the battle and when people started calling us names and yelling at us
because we had a different view of things I got quite upset.

In fact I barely read LUGNET except for the .org groups for about a week after
that started.  Now that NELUG has stated its view and people have calmed down I
was feeling much better but the recent .build.mecha discussion kind of changed
that again.  At least I can turn that group off because I don't have a vested
interest in it but I would rather not have to turn off any group because of
language and general meanness.

Does this mean the "honeymoon" is over for Lugnet?

In a way I think the honeymoon ended a little while ago.  That doesn't mean
LUGNET is not still having growing pains but it is still going to have to cope
with these situations as they arrise.  I love LUGNET and think its the best
thing to happen to our community but you can't control everyone all the time so
even LUGNET in many ways is not perfect.  It is pretty darn good though.

Is Lego not a toy for our enjoyment?

Of course it is.  It's just some people take their hobby more seriously than
others and have different views on how things should be in certain situations.
None of which is a problem as long as people talk constructively about the
issues they feel are important and don't get into shouting matches.

I don't like the way things are going.

In a few cases I agree with you but the majority of LUGNET is still a very
friendly place to hang out.  Just like any community you are going to have to
deal with the good and the bad and there will still be some bad I just hope the
percentages of good and bad don't change too much.

Jude

Let me know if I posted this to the appropriate group so Shiri does not have
to when she returns. After all she is gonna be busy redirecting all the miss
directed posts.:-)

As far as I'm concerned it was a good place.  Although I am sure you will find
out eventually if it wasn't.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/