Re: Greenburg Show?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:33:35 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Tom Duggan writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:

Again my initial thoughts are a 10'x10' table for our first show.  (If we go
crazy with scenery maybe more but I would rather have a smaller setup that is
packed full of stuff than have a huge setup that is sparcely populated with
stuff).  Of course there is some expense to the tables and a skirt for the
table.  I am willing to contribute a fair amount to this but I would like it
to be a group expense as much as possible.  Of course there are many ways to
do this.  Either people could contribute the cost of a single table and would
then own that table or the tables would be owned jointly by NELUG and we
would have to figure out storage.

I would lean more towards buing them as a club as opposed to everyone buying
a table. This way we can be certain of the dimensions and everythinmg will fit
together nicely.

Well my thought was all the tables would be the same size regardless of whether
individuals owned them or if the group owned them.  I guess I suggested the
individual ownership just because some people like to get something for their
money thats tangable.  In general I prefer the group ownership as well.

I had a town set up when I lived at my mothers that was about 12x15, I think
it cost about $150 bucks all together. The plywood is about 8-10 bucks a sheet
(more if you want the nice birch), and i used 2x3's for the frame. Of course
mine was a bit crooked because I had a crappy saw, but Home Depot will cut the
plywood (if I remember from my days of working there, the first cut on every
board was free, and each additional one was .50)

Well the do cut wood for you kind of.  You have to be careful that you get
someone willing to do a precision cut.  I have had some people that are pretty
good but others that were well over 6 inches off when I asked for something cut
in half!.

Plus we will be looking for something precise.  Most of the other clubs use
some sort of multiple of the 32x32 baseplate for measurements.  For example
WAMALTC uses tables that are 40.25" x 40.25" which is 4 32x32 baseplates
square.

I found that instead of
trying to build a structurely sound support system for the table, it was much
easier to buy some saw horses (I think they were about 6 bucks a piece for the
wooden ones) and just screwed the frame and plywood right to them....it was
about the perfect height for me.....came right up to above my waist....this
should also make it easier for assembly and disassembly.

I think we probably need to be a bit more precise than saw horses.  Most Saw
Horses I have ever had were pretty rough when it came to measurements.  One
thing we can do to ensure a level table is to get some of the adjustable feet
for the legs.  These basically just screw into the bottom of the leg and then
allow you to adjust the length of the leg usually up to an inch or so.

I do have some track....I think 3 circles worth of round and a few straight
ones, and some train parts, a few train plates and some bogies....but I am not
much of a train builder. As for buildings, I am also running out of pieces,
but like I said, I do have a few new ones, as well as my fire stations, and I
should be able to come up with a few more before the show.

Sounds like we are both fairly tapped out.  If you can figure out how many
curved and how many straight lenghts of track you have that would be good.  As
for the train cars we can talk.  Building a simple boxcar is pretty easy either
that or maybe we can work out a trade or something so that we can maximise the
number of cars we can build while minimizing everyones expense.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/