Re: Greenburg Show?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:48:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Tom Duggan writes:
Any more information on the Greenburg show in Wilmington in December?
I have been building away, and have come up with a postal distribution • center,
and a McDonalds for the display.

I guess I was hopeing to talk about this quite a bit at the BBQ.  We do need • to
get signed up soon to reserve our space.

Again my initial thoughts are a 10'x10' table for our first show.  (If we go
crazy with scenery maybe more but I would rather have a smaller setup that is
packed full of stuff than have a huge setup that is sparcely populated with
stuff).  Of course there is some expense to the tables and a skirt for the
table.  I am willing to contribute a fair amount to this but I would like it • to
be a group expense as much as possible.  Of course there are many ways to do
this.  Either people could contribute the cost of a single table and would • then
own that table or the tables would be owned jointly by NELUG and we would have
to figure out storage.

We also need to first define the dimensions of the tables and then get the
supplies and build them, probably as a full day event sometime between now and
the show.

Like I said before I want to talk about this more at the BBQ.  I definitly
think there is enough interest for us to do something.  We just need to define
what exactly what that is and then make a list of tasks and responsibilities • so
that we can be ready by December.

If people have ideas for this that they would like to post before the BBQ I
would love to hear them.  I will have what I have of my Town and my couple
trains on display at the BBQ.  Unfortunately once I run out of supplies (which
in a couple cases has already happened) I won't be able to replenish those
supplies very quickly.  I have allocated a budget for some Track and train
stuff plus the tables but thats probably going to be it before the show.  At
least until we figure out how hard the little one is going to strain the bank
account.

I guess thats one thing... If people could inventory their train stuff no
matter how little it is we can then figure out how short we are in terms of
track.  Also for those of you buying up SnowBlowers for the raidar dishes if
you could figure out how many Trucks (sets of train wheels) and Boggie plates
(basically a 4x6 tile with a peg in the middle) you have then we can have an
idea of how many cars we can build for the train.

Anyway more to come at the BBQ I am sure.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

I would lean more towards buing them as a club as opposed to everyone buying
a table. This way we can be certain of the dimensions and everythinmg will fit
together nicely.
I had a town set up when I lived at my mothers that was about 12x15, I think
it cost about $150 bucks all together. The plywood is about 8-10 bucks a sheet
(more if you want the nice birch), and i used 2x3's for the frame. Of course
mine was a bit crooked because I had a crappy saw, but Home Depot will cut the
plywood (if I remember from my days of working there, the first cut on every
board was free, and each additional one was .50) I found that instead of
trying to build a structurely sound support system for the table, it was much
easier to buy some saw horses (I think they were about 6 bucks a piece for the
wooden ones) and just screwed the frame and plywood right to them....it was
about the perfect height for me.....came right up to above my waist....this
should also make it easier for assembly and disassembly.
I do have some track....I think 3 circles worth of round and a few straight
ones, and some train parts, a few train plates and some bogies....but I am not
much of a train builder. As for buildings, I am also running out of pieces,
but like I said, I do have a few new ones, as well as my fire stations, and I
should be able to come up with a few more before the show.

Tom D