Re: LEGO > SYSTEM > Town > The Times
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:02:43 GMT

Lots of snippage, some commentary interspersed but first... this post got my
spotlight, it's an awesome post taken in total. But my comments might read like
criticism, sorry about that! It's because I snipped a lot away.

In lugnet.general, Dave Lovelace wrote:
Hello!

After four years of membership to LUGNET, I have had very little to post in the
way of creative, er...creativity.  I have noticed that LUGNET postings which get
spotlighted and get most feedback are those posts which include, obviously, a
custom LEGO creation of some sort.

Well, there's a lot of us (like me) that are interested in LEGO toys more for
collecting than for building, but still have ideas about the kinds of products
they fantasize about.  So although this post will get absolutely no attention at
all, since it includes no fancy constructions nor the genius to fabricate them
even remotely the way they exist in my mind,

Nonsense. Not trying to be offensive but it does not take genius to build good
creations. It only takes *wanting* to do it and practice practice practice.
Sure, some builders are better than others but if you want to build good MOCs,
you can. That's my view. Build. Seek feedback. Build some more.

That's different than not wanting to, and it's cool if collecting is your thing,
or if you build good MOCs in secret and deny that you are any good (1) or
whatever, it's a hobby and it's all good, but DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT. I hate
it when people do that. If you want to build, you can.

Sorry for that rant.

(snipped all the cool set ideas)

Those set ideas truly rock. I think I'd buy every single one. Especially the
ones that came with mullets. Grin. I particularly liked your set numbers too.
very apropos.

-----

Hope you enjoyed reading all this.

I know I did!

It sure was fun to write.  I dearly wish I
had the creative and physical wherewithall to build all this...I truly would if
I could!  I wish more AFOL's lived near me.  I jealously read posts about LUG's
where people regularly get together...there's nothing near me in CT!

Boy is it going to seem like I'm picking on you, but again, Nonsense!

If you live in the NY burbs of CT, there's the NY guys. Check out their local
group for signs of activity. (loc.us.ny.ny) Also there's GardenSLUG...

If you live in middle CT like Darien or Hartford or whatever, you're close to
ENFIELD!!! LEGO Mecca for the continent. And you are not far from Western MA
where a new node of NELUG is getting active even as we speak.

NELUG is near you, wherever you are in CT. NELUG is working to be more than just
a Boston area club and is actively seeking members who want to get more nuclei
of activity going. Seek them out. All it takes is one or two AFOLs to get things
rolling and it snowballs nicely from there.

So the AFOLs you seek are out there. Get proactive and you will find them.

But even if there was: once again, not everyone who loves LUGNET knows how to
build!  I just love collecting.  :o)

And that's OK!!!! You can just show off your stuff to other AFOLs or you can do
shows with stock sets, nothing wrong with that...

Thanks for your post, it rocked.

1 - Yes, Abner, I am talking about YOU!

++Lar