Re: Gaming Conventions and Brikwars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:04:18 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:

I think that Eric J. probably knows more about gaming
than most of the rest of us

combined  :D

I had a mind to say it but now you did so I don't have to :-).

Heh.

But the real question is... why would we (NELUG) demo BrikWars at all?  What
would our motivation be, exactly?

I guess I was
mostly thinking it would be to raise awareness of NELUG in general and show
that we are multidimensional.

Well, those are decent reasons.  I mean, we might get *some* new members as a
result of demo'ing BrikWars at a gaming convention- but I think the result that
most gamers would walk away with would be "BrikWars is a cool game, and free",
meanwhile forgetting completely about NELUG. :D

I guess I also didn't think we would be teaching
new people how to play.  I thought it would just be us playing with people
watching.

Oh, no.  We would be expected to allow convention goers to sign up and teach
them the basics of the game.  That's what demo'ing is all about.

My guess is that lots of gamers might see LEGO as a great medium for
gaming in general (although we arn't out to promote LEGO).

Yeah, LEGO can promote themselves.  You'd be surprised though...  every once in
a while some gamer gets the bright idea to use LEGO minifigs instead of gaming
miniatures, but it's not that frequent.

eric