Re: Gaming Conventions and Brikwars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:50:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:

I think that Eric J. probably knows more about gaming
than most of the rest of us

combined  :D

I had a mind to say it but now you did so I don't have to :-).

and he didn't think it was a great idea either

Yeah.  It's just that a gaming convention isn't the best place to do it.  I've
been to gaming conventions... trust me on this one.

I do.

Slightly better would be something Neil brought up a while back, which is the
possibility of demo'ing BrikWars at a gaming store.  The only real advantage
this has over doing it at a convention is that the "audience" wouldn't be made
up of people that had an hour to kill between playing D&D and Vampire: the
Masquerade- it would be people who either came specifically for the demo or
people who wandered into the store but were interested enough to stick around.
The main problem with a store demo, though,  is that most gaming stores
wouldn't be really keen on having a game demo'ed in their store for which they
have no product to sell.  BrikWars rules are free, and most gaming stores
don't sell LEGO.  So there's no motivation for them to let us use their space.

Yah I can't see a gaming store letting us take up time and space for something
they can't sell people (well maybe some flashy dice but I doubt many hard core
gamers need dice).

But the real question is... why would we (NELUG) demo BrikWars at all?  What
would our motivation be, exactly?  We would *not* get paid, not in the same
range of amounts we have for other projects.  We would almost certainly not
see a membership boost.  It wouldn't be like the Greenberg shows, where we
mostly stand around a chat- there would be *real work* involved in wrangling
demo participants and teaching them rules.  I'm not saying there *isn't* a
good motivation for doing it, or that a good motivation is equivalent to cash
(after all, I enjoy the Greenberg shows and lord knows we don't get paid a lot
for those), I'm simply saying that I can't see a point to the work and stress
it would cause.

Well I guess I don't know what I was thinking.  While boosts in membership
can't hurt I can't say we are starving for new members either and some might
say we have achieved a good balance between size, general freindlyness, group
activities and such anyway.  I also didn't think we'd get paid.  I guess I was
mostly thinking it would be to raise awareness of NELUG in general and show
that we are multidimensional.  I guess I also didn't think we would be teaching
new people how to play.  I thought it would just be us playing with people
watching.  My guess is that lots of gamers might see LEGO as a great medium for
gaming in general (although we arn't out to promote LEGO).

A well...

Eric Kingsley