Re: Gaming Conventions and Brikwars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:51:46 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Joslin writes:
But the real question is... why would we (NELUG) demo BrikWars at all?  What
would our motivation be, exactly?  We would *not* get paid, not in the same
range of amounts we have for other projects.  We would almost certainly not • see
a membership boost.  It wouldn't be like the Greenberg shows, where we mostly
stand around a chat- there would be *real work* involved in wrangling demo
participants and teaching them rules.  I'm not saying there *isn't* a good
motivation for doing it, or that a good motivation is equivalent to cash • (after
all, I enjoy the Greenberg shows and lord knows we don't get paid a lot for
those), I'm simply saying that I can't see a point to the work and stress it
would cause.

Thinking about what you said, I think I agreee. I've been thinking about gaming
at cons from the perspective of the Pirate Game which is a different animal
from Brikwars. Brikwars can be enjoyed by two people using a dining room table.
The Pirate Game requires at least 6 players to start to be fun (at least using
the role playing rules, but probably even as a battle game, I'd hate to try and
do the record keeping for more than a few ships) and requires at least a
15'x15' open space (plus room at the edges for extra ships and whatnot).

Right now, given the makeup of NCLUG and available spaces etc. the only time I
get to do the Pirate Game is once a year at Brickfest, so any opportunity to
add another venue is good (of course, right now the situation is almost the
same for Brikwars, though I'm sure Fritz Grondy could be induced to play).

Frank