 Organizations / United States / NCLUG / 215
Re: GATS Train SHow (was Get together Saturday)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:28:45 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Frank Filz writes:
Mike Walsh wrote:

"Cary Clark" <cary@corp.nospamwebtv.net> wrote in message
I like layout 2 and 5 the best, but any of them besides 1 is fine. With 16
large and 4 small tables, any of the layouts shown can be made. Since at
least 12 large are required for any of the layouts, it would seem pretty
reasonable to sign up to make 16 large / 4 small and have the flexibility • to
choose any of the designs Mike described.

I prefer 2 most, next would come 3  or 5 minus the two small tables
projecting inwards.   I prefer not to have any inward projections to bump into.

I had a hard time picturing the table set up until it penetrated that the
table dimensions  were 2.5' x 5' and 2.5' x2.5'.  Even then I had to draw it
out on graph paper to really see it.  I want to thank all of you in advance
for the patience you will have with me.   Hopefully I won't try it too
much... Onward!

trivia:
2 holds 297 10"x10" baseplates   [10'x10'inside]
3 holds 306 [7.5' x 12.5]
5 minus the two small tables holds 261 [10' x 12.5']

1 holds 216 [12.5'x 12.5']

I know the large tables are about 30" x 60", but how thick are they? How
many could a standard station wagon hold?

Cary

The building specs are here:  http://www.pnltc.org/ToolSpec.html

I don't recall the thickness but I would guess a total of 2 1/2 inches when
the legs are removed.

I like Cary's suggestion of building enough tables to build any of the
layouts.  Flexibility is the key.

Agreed! I prefer to not be locked into any decision prematurely.

One other item that will drive how many
tables to build will be the number tables each person wants for their own
personal use.  For myself I would like two large and two small.  At home I
am hoping to set up a one large, one small "L" shape in my limited space.

I won't want very many tables for personal use yet, it will also depend
on what kind of legs we use. If we use the pre-fab folding legs, I'll
want fewer tables than if we use the PNLTC wooden legs (the issue is how
useable is the space under the table, the metal folding legs have
diagonal bracing which I think will be more limiting that the PNLTC
legs). I'd be happy to "own" several more tables if someone else has
space to store them. Another problem is that if I use more than 1 large
table or two small tables at home, they will be very difficult to free
up for shows.

I am interested in 2 of the larger tables.  Multi purpose for me.   GATS,
good to set up for NCLUG meeting when I am able to have folks here, and
would be useful to baste quilts on.  They will not be able to be up on a
permanent basis in my home.  Not enough room...

I also like layouts #2 and #5.

Other things to think about are track inventory, straight track and switches
in particular.  I don't know how much straight track I have, probably 40-50
pieces.  I have four pairs of switches, and four cross tracks.  I have an
entire blue tub of curves and I suspect other people have similar amounts.

I have 2 cross tracks, a pair of switches.  About a dozen straight track.

sheree

As a first order approximation, I have a similar amount. I'll need to
inventory my track at some point (I know I only have two cross tracks,
I'm pretty sure I have more turnouts, I have 2 pr in my current layout
plus at least one, and I think two of the 4563s I bough came with a pair
of turnouts each), plus I know I bought more turnouts in December 1999
just before the price went up.

I suspect any of the three of us have enough monorail track for whatever
we might want to do there (I would like to see some monorail in the
setup).