Re: Yard Automation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:17:42 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Scott Sanburn writes:
Kai & All,

I would suggest coordinating with Steve R, since he is most of the train
layout, since we will have a number of trains, stations, etc. He is working
on automatic swithces already as well. If you have a multi train layout that
100% works, with no major hangups by the time we have the show fine, but if
it has a lot of problems, it will not be included, since it is not really a
testing ground.  Fair enough?

This seems a good approach to me, except I would suggest that nothing in
LEGO ever works 100%. 99% ought to be good enough.

Kai, your design and prototypeing goals should include a manual fallback so
that if things aren't working quite right you can switch to manually
controlled (but electrically powered) turnouts (take the RCXs out of circuit
and have a bank of switches to control the turnout switchhouses.. keep
everything color coded) and if THAT isn't working that you can pull the
switch houses off and go full manual.

Steve R. said he was going to ruggedise and standardise his design and
publish it to us so we all can make up switchmotors... I suggest you work
within that framework. Remember in your coding (and I recommend NQC as the
language) that the switchmotor design we are using does not autoshut, you
need to run it long enough to ensure a full crisp throw but not TOO long.

This feedback is offered not because we want to "beat on you" but rather to
aid you in coming up with a rugged system that will fit within the design
parameters.

Idea: If each switchhouse is made a different color, THERE is your color coding!