Subject:
Yard Automation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 04:20:54 GMT

Hello,
I have just decided on my contribution for GATS-02.  This may not float with
other people, but I will try anyway.

I am currently working on a Yard-Automation system, which will use an RCX
brick and a computer (laptop) to fully automate the yard we will be using at
GATS-02.

The plan is somewhat complicated.  I will be using reed switches, which
close a circuit when magnetic fields are present.  The switches will be
“cannibalized” into a standard LEGO electrical cord, as somebody explained
in an earlier .Train post.

When Train A (using variables to represent trains running on the track) is
heading to the yard, the reed switch will detect its presence.  After so
many times around the loop, lets say 20,  the train will be pulled into the
yard using motors to move the switches.  A trains on the siding, which we
will call train B, will be moved out of the yard onto the main track.  After
20 times around the track the train will be moved into a siding and train C
will be moved out.  When train C returns to the yard train A will go out,
and Train C will replace its siding in the Yard.
Once in the yard, the trains may be serviced on, or switched.  I am also
hoping Steve R’s turntable will be able to be incorporated into this somehow.

The RCX will also control the speed at which to trains come into the yard.
If the train is to fast, the RCX will slow it down, therefore reducing the
chances of collision or destruction.

Any suggestions?  I am sure someone out there is itching to shoot me down. ;)

I also plan to bring the customary water tower.  I will also work with Steve
R. and Jason with the Ore Dock idea.

Thanks
Kai

P.S.  When’s the next meeting?  GATS-02 is in four months!!