Re: Mountain Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 00:17:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Jason Spears writes:
Ok, I now have enough BURPS to start construction on the Mountain.  But I have
few questions.

Well maybe I can answer a few of those questions.

1. Should I have two tracks running through the mountain or only one?

One running through, and another along the outside.  Perhaps some elevation,
with a bridge over the river kwai.  This mountain could be the source of water
for a lake/bay in another part of the display. (i.e. Tony's Logging camp
perhaps?)

2. Should it be built for a corner or a straight run of track?

Straight will allow the most flexibility in it's place in the layout.

3. If I do indeed build it for two rows of track, how far apart should the
pieces of track be?  If they are far enought apart, I will have two
enterence/exits, otherwise just one big one.

8 Studs between each piece of track.  This appears to be what we were running
at GRGATS based on this picture:

4. Where on a 32x32 baseplate should the outermost piece of track lie, to line
up with the rest of the layout?

Looks like the first row of track should be about 4 studs in.

5. How high does the tunnel need to be to provide enough clearence for say the
'Big Boy'?

I'm not sure about this, but I guess if it turns out too low, the BigBoy (and
other oversized trains will just have to run on the ouside.

6. If it is a corner mountain how much turning clearence is needed for the
'Big Boy'?  (I have some Lego standard engines and rolling stock, but none of
it comes close to the massive 'Big Boy').

No corner, jeez how many times do I have to tell you.

7. Do we still want the top to be a plateau for pampilets and catalogs? (While
this will make it useful, how asthetically pleasing will it be?)

Whatever floats your boat.  Although I think it will look better with more of a
peak, and maybe a little diorama happening on it.  Rock climbers, lumberjacks,
campers, etc.

8. Um, does anyone have some other information that I might need, but just
haven't asked?

Um, it's bad nettique(sp?) to reply to yourself.  And before you ask why, I'll
let you know right now, that I don't know why, it apparently just is.

Thanks,
Jason

PS I'm looking forward to seeing everyone (and their creations) in two weeks.

Well I'm looking forward to seeing yours.  This answer is not wholly of my own
opionon, others post were summerized here.  (Chris L. - 2123, Larry P. - 2126,
Scott S. - 2127, Tony H. - 2120)

-Jason