Re: Mountain Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:35:51 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Jason Spears writes:
Ok, I now have enough BURPS to start construction on the Mountain.  But I have
few questions.

1. Should I have two tracks running through the mountain or only one?

2. Should it be built for a corner or a straight run of track?

3. If I do indeed build it for two rows of track, how far apart should the
pieces of track be?  If they are far enought apart, I will have two
enterence/exits, otherwise just one big one.

4. Where on a 32x32 baseplate should the outermost piece of track lie, to line
up with the rest of the layout?

5. How high does the tunnel need to be to provide enough clearence for say the
'Big Boy'?

6. If it is a corner mountain how much turning clearence is needed for the 'Big
Boy'?  (I have some Lego standard engines and rolling stock, but none of it
comes close to the massive 'Big Boy').

7. Do we still want the top to be a plateau for pampilets and catalogs? (While
this will make it useful, how asthetically pleasing will it be?)

8. Um, does anyone have some other information that I might need, but just
haven't asked?

Thanks,
Jason

PS I'm looking forward to seeing everyone (and their creations) in two weeks.

I have two buildings on the water side so I’m hoping for a larger water side
this time. Saying that, my thoughts are to have one side facing water with
two tracks. One going though and one track on the outside of the mountain.
You could also have the second track go though a valley instead of actually
covering the second track. Oh you could also have structural beams and poles
holding up the side of the mountain by the water so people could see the
train run though part of the tunnel. You could also have a road going
through it also. You’ve also probably thought of having the monorail go
though it too. I’m full of ideas but I don’t answers for you. Steve and
Chris will have to answer them.  All I can say is that one of my buildings
is on the water and it has burps as part of the landscape. I thought it
would look good next to a cliff by the water. I’m bringing the building to
the meeting so everyone can check it out. Actually I will have four
buildings all together. Good Luck!