Re: Mountain Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:10:21 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Jason Spears writes:
Ok, I now have enough BURPS to start construction on the Mountain.  But I have
few questions.

(Just offering some friendly suggestions from experience...)

1. Should I have two tracks running through the mountain or only one?

It depends a lot on how wide your mountain is.  In general though, I'd
suggest only 1, especially if your mountain goes around a corner.  If you
stick to LEGO's standard spacing between tracks, there is pretty much no
room for supports between tracks going around a corner, especially if you
run 8-wides.  I learned this at the mountain I built for Supertrain in
February (pics in my Brickshelf gallery, which seems to be flaky ATM).

2. Should it be built for a corner or a straight run of track?

Preference.  IMHO, a corner is more visually appealing, but a straight run
is much simpler, and doesn't chew through bricks quite as fast.

3. If I do indeed build it for two rows of track, how far apart should the
pieces of track be?  If they are far enought apart, I will have two
enterence/exits, otherwise just one big one.

Depends on your layout.  It's one of my pet peeves that anyone in NALUG
could tell you about, though - I'm pretty hardnosed about sticking to LEGO's
standard geometry, even though it stinks.

4. Where on a 32x32 baseplate should the outermost piece of track lie, to line
up with the rest of the layout.

Standard spacing says 4 studs in. (i.e. the track starts on stud 5)

thanks,

James