Re: Already thinking of a new building for GATS/NOVI 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:17:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Tony Hedglen writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Peter Guenther writes:
That's awesome.  I was thinking of the same thing and had already gone to
www.grandhotel.com to look at some pics--but there's no way I can do it for
this next time.  Go for it!  That would rock.  Only... don't build it to
scale.  It would stratch our entire setup, probably!

But there's no bridge to Mackinac (although there is a Mackinac bridge).
Someone can build a ferry instead!

Speaking of ferries, I was thinking of building the Ludington, MI-Manitowoc,
WI car ferry--a more interesting project because the Mackinac ones don't
carry cars for obvious reasons.  Maybe we could channel our Wild West stuff
into Fort Mackinac instead???

Peter

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Chris Leach writes:
Hey guys i think i have come up with a good building for the next
show,something to do with Michigan.How about the GRAND HOTEL from mackinac
island.I'm also thinking maybe Amy or Steve could build a bridge that hmmmmm
some how kinda goes with it:-)

Good idea Peter! Who is going to do the Fort Mackinac? But I see one small
problem. I don't know about the rest of you but I didn't see a monorail or a
train go across the Mackinac Bridge the last time I was there. I'm sensing a
new display here. Are we going to do Mackinac City too? I'm going there this
fall so I can take pictures while I'm there. Idea! Let's make an island with
the GR hotel, a Mackinac Bridge, Fort Mackinac, and Mackinac City. We could
put that stuff toward the front and have the trains running behind the
island. We could also have a train loop go by Mackinac City. I might try and
do a demo on track designer to show my idea. I'm building a logging facility
that would fit nicely on ether sides of the bridge. The airport would have
to be reduced to a smaller one. (Maybe) I just don't see Detroit air port
next to the bridge. There is also going to be a lot of building that needs
to be involved. We have 5 ½ months to pull this off. If everyone is up to
the challenge. I'm already building a logging facility and a power plant. I
might be able to build some stores for Mackinac City.

This could make for an interesting display.  Maybe a large island with
lots-o-buildings.  Water around the island, and land around that.  The track
could run around the outside ring of land.  I for one, would be happy to work
up a large dock system.  Modify some of my pirate ships to represent historical
remakes.

On a similar note, I have been completely stoked since the show.  A building
machine.  3 Buildings in 3 nights.  Monday night a yellow building with black
trim, 16 wide, 32 deep, 41 tall.  Tuesday night a blue building with grey trim,
28 wide, 30 deep, approx. 34 tall(I didn't count this one).  Last night a
yellow hotel(?) with red trim, 32 wide, 33 deep (overhangs the plate a little),
and a few bricks taller than the blue.  The first two have flat roofs made out
of plates, but the last uses actual roof bricks.  I'm not sure that I like the
last one that much, the yellow with red doesn't appeal to me as much, I may
change it to blue, but of course if I do, I won't have the roof bricks anymore,
hmm.  Anyhow, I will most likely build another tonight.  I am going to take the
camera home today and try to take some pictures, so come morning I hope to show
off my creations.

-Jason