Re: I may consider selling/trading my Metroliner if anyone is interested.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:53:25 GMT

ENOUGH,

Brad was simply saying that if someone was willing to pay what he (and I as
well) think the train model is worth than make him an offer. If you think
that the $ he is asking is to much then don't worry about and buy it
somewhere else, no harm no foul. A lesson on cyberspace economic trends is
not necessary.

To turn this into a "buyer/seller" conflict is ridiculous. The model is
basically worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If Brad thinks
it's worth $200 and if someone is willing to pay $200.00 then that is what
it's worth. LEGO trading is an informal economy, not a fixed retail market.
If you think its too high then don't worry about it. For example, I was
watching an item on Ebay, a 7750 Train Engine to be specific. It went for
over $800.00. A little more than I thought it was worth but someone bought
it.

On a personal note, if you really want the model you should entertain the
possibility of a trading with Brad. I have traded with "Mr. Hamilton"
several times and would argue that he is among the most honest and fair
traders that I have dealt with. Sort of like the "Kula Ring Trade" of the
Trobriand Islanders if you get the drift.... once you establish that you are
a fair trader and not out to swindle somebody then more opportunities open
up. This is called a balanced reciprocity in which each trader profits
rather than a negative reciprocity in which someone gets cheated. I would
like to think that the members of LUGOLA were interested in the balanced
reciprocity and not view club as a way to profit, but rather share.

Neither Brad or you are really interested in the exchange as evident by the
postings. However, I'll beat that if you showed up with some items on Brad's
want list like rounded arch pieces and doomed windows, the price of the
train would be well within your range and a balanced exchange would occur.

Brian Stokes