Re: I may consider selling/trading my Metroliner if anyone is interested.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:05:10 GMT

Hi Richard,

I agree that I didn't research this quite enough, but I think you're being a
bit too harsh.

Based on prices I had seen on Brickbay (which do tend to be higher than
EBAY), the going rate for a complete set from the US (this seemsimportant to
the value) was about $400-$500.  Obviously, I was lured by this and didn't
research other selling avenues.

I actually quoted someone an estimate of around $250 in value figuring that
most of the value was in the train (everyone has tons of curved rails and
controllers) and this was cutting the "full" value in half.  Although the
train isn't in its box, its never been disassembled (except for the few
parts that I cannibalized) and is in excellent condition.

I agree with you that the sum of the values of the parts is probably worth
about $75-$100 if you just consider the raw value of those parts and are not
overly interested in aquiring them.   Frankly, this is about all I would pay
were I to aquire a second one (which obviously doesn't interest me right
now).  However, some people are willing to pay more if they really want
those parts.  If this is the best offer I get for it then I'll keep it.

I'm not particularly eager to get rid of this set so I purposely set the
value high.  I've seen this done repeated over and over again by other folks
on Brickbay (with exactly this "disclaimer" to keep others from getting
upset - Perhaps I should have said this???).  If people can get high values
for certain high-demand sets then they'll sell them.  Otherwise, they just
keep them.  It is not an attempt to "rip" people off as you suppose.  It is
simply a matter of "I like this set, but if someone is actually willing to
give me $X, then I'll get rid of it because I can get something I like
better."

Also, note that my intent was to trade amongst people that will see the
material face-to-face, and many of whom know me.  I did not post this to the
trade group, but to a local group instead.  I've already mentioned this to a
few people prior to this who expressed interest but not at that prior point
in time.  So, I thought I'd bring it up again.  I had previously brought up
this price point and did get any violent reactions - just a "I'm not really
willing to pay that at this point, but maybe sometime in the future."

Would you have been less upset if I had said "I'm willing to get rid of this
for amount rediculous amount X (with no justification).  The value is high
because I'm not overly eager to get rid of it, but if someone wants to
negotiate in this range, I will part with it?"

Sorry for upsetting you,

Brad

richard marchetti <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.org.us.lugola, Brad Hamilton writes:
This set has been going for $400-$500 on Brickbay/Ebay when its sealed in • a
new box.  Obviously, I would expect to get significantly less

Yeah, I'd say so. Given these recently completed items on eBay:

563408452 Lego Trains Metroliner (# 4558 ) +more *VISA*   $167.50 15 • Mar-01
15:06
564356987 LEGO #4558 Metroliner Train set Never Opened!   $321.09 17 • Mar-04
14:23
566193460 Lego Trains #4558 Metroliner comp. in box   $255.00 4 Mar-10 • 09:52
566194214 Lego Trains #4558 Metroliner, not comp. w/box   $195.50 5 Mar-10 • 09:55
566578728 Lego set-4558 Metroliner-Opened+4525 MISB-   $243.94 10 Mar-11 • 12:43
569845025 Lego # 4558 Metroliner   $225.00 - Mar-20 22:57

I'd say your set is worth something in the neighborhood of $75-100 USD
considering the hassle of finding some of the bits that are missing.  I
still think that's a crazy high price considering one can just order 75% • of
the set from stuff readily available from S@H.

And yeah, in case you wondered, it DOES sort of annoy me when people • wildly
overestimate the value of things.  Since I am mainly a buyer, I much • prefer
more stable and predictable pricing estimates than I normally see here on
Lugnet.  I know it should be "buyer beware", but your estimate seemed
unusually egregious in overestimating the value of a set missing so much
from it's contents -- what with track, controller, and some train module
elements gone from the set.

I'm genuinely intrigued by how or why you estimate your set's value so
highly? Your asking price appears to be "several hundred" dollars for what
is readily available for far less.  The word "several" means more than two
or three. COMPLETE sets are going for less than that.

Whassup?!

-- Hop-Frog (not actually an a$$****, although I play one online)