Re: I may consider selling/trading my Metroliner if anyone is interested.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 02:45:22 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lugola, Brad Hamilton writes:
Would you have been less upset if I had said "I'm willing to get rid of this
for amount rediculous amount X (with no justification).  The value is high
because I'm not overly eager to get rid of it, but if someone wants to
negotiate in this range, I will part with it?"

Well, I wasn't really upset -- just willing to comment on the situation.  A
disclaimer would be nice, although I could see where you thought your
subject line was indicative of your intent.  Basically, we are engaged in
the buyer-seller tug of war here, where you would like to jack up the value
and I would like to say it should be lower.

I think some prices might have been higher in the past because it was hard
to put a buyer and seller together to make the deal.  The internet has made
this far simpler in a number of ways, and I am not so sure that certain
items can maintain the prices they once commanded.  I still think some
prices are just psycho-high!  Glancing over the Metroliner set, it looks
like only a few elements are truly hard to come by -- among them are the lt.
grey wagon plates, and the faceted "nose" element -- but I was pressed to
find much else that was truly rare (mind you, I am not a train-head).
What's more, those grey doors and windows are supposedly currently available
from S@H.  I am guessing that this set has lost at least some value as some
people feared it would.  The plus side of it is that you can currently get
many of the elements from S@H, which I think is hella cool! Just what
everyone wanted, right?

But just for the sake of reality checking: if someone really wants this set
they can get one complete on ebay for less than you are willing to part with
an incomplete set.  See?  I just don't get that...

Okay, I'll just shut up now...at least for a little while.

-- Hop-Frog