Re: I may consider selling/trading my Metroliner if anyone is interested.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 03:45:04 GMT

As another side comment, I'm personally very happy with the greater
availability of parts, and the ease of connecting buyers and sellers.  I
VERY rarely sell things.  I would say I'm a buyer 90% of the time, so I want
the cheapest price possible.

richard marchetti <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.org.us.lugola, Brad Hamilton writes:
Would you have been less upset if I had said "I'm willing to get rid of • this
for amount rediculous amount X (with no justification).  The value is • high
because I'm not overly eager to get rid of it, but if someone wants to
negotiate in this range, I will part with it?"

Well, I wasn't really upset -- just willing to comment on the situation. • A
disclaimer would be nice, although I could see where you thought your
subject line was indicative of your intent.  Basically, we are engaged in
the buyer-seller tug of war here, where you would like to jack up the • value
and I would like to say it should be lower.

I think some prices might have been higher in the past because it was hard
to put a buyer and seller together to make the deal.  The internet has • made
this far simpler in a number of ways, and I am not so sure that certain
items can maintain the prices they once commanded.  I still think some
prices are just psycho-high!  Glancing over the Metroliner set, it looks
like only a few elements are truly hard to come by -- among them are the • lt.
grey wagon plates, and the faceted "nose" element -- but I was pressed to
find much else that was truly rare (mind you, I am not a train-head).
What's more, those grey doors and windows are supposedly currently • available
from S@H.  I am guessing that this set has lost at least some value as • some
people feared it would.  The plus side of it is that you can currently get
many of the elements from S@H, which I think is hella cool! Just what
everyone wanted, right?

But just for the sake of reality checking: if someone really wants this • set
they can get one complete on ebay for less than you are willing to part • with
an incomplete set.  See?  I just don't get that...

Okay, I'll just shut up now...at least for a little while.

-- Hop-Frog