Re: Future meetings (Was: Re: Any box collectors in LUCNY?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 01:11:14 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Kevin Salm writes:
In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Ed McGlynn writes:
Hi All -

I've got to clear out some boxes I have been saving for a pending move next
month.
Does anybody want these before I chuck them?  Mostly larger boxes,  probably • at
least 4 years old, but I don't haven't dug them out yet, so I don't have
specifics.  If there's any interest, I can bring them to the meeting next
weekend.

First--about next weekend's meeting.  I didn't know we had a meeting LOCATION
established.  If we do, please let us know.  Ed, I know Binghamton works for
you on Aug 17/18 so I guess it will be okay for me.  I don't think I will be
bringing much Lego at all--perhaps none.

Regardless of if we have a meeting in August, I would like to propose that we
plan for something in Binghamton for September.

For October, I would like to offer to host a meeting.  I will work get use of
my church's basement which is huge and carpeted so we will have space to do a
Train layout on the floor.  If we want to do a layout on tables instead, we
can
use the dining room which is just as spacious as the basement.
Keep in mind that my location is about 50 miles East of Syracuse and 70 miles
NorthEast of Ithaca (or 40 miles Northeast of Pompey).  This means that
virtually no one in our group lives near me--so perhaps this may not work out
well at all.  But I did want to make the offer.

That sounds like a good idea.  We're certainly new enough to try a bunch of
locations and consider each one, and I think having one at your location would
be a good idea.  I'm 70 miles West of Syracuse, 60 miles Northeast of Ithaca,
etc. so I know what you mean.  After my move, I can certainly host a meeting as
well - but that's in the future of course.

I don't know if we've settled on a meeting place yet.  Seems like Binghamton's
a long way to go if we don't have a place set aside by now.  Any hotel lobbies
around Syracuse we can squat?  Carousel Mall if you care to shout at each
other?    The lobby of OnTrack station downtown?  On a picnic table outside the
Dinosaur?  Anybody have an office conference room we could use?  Nicole pointed
out that the Binghamton Library's not available on Saturdays, and I'm not sure
if we could successfully squat in the Holiday Inn Arena or not - where would we
go if booted outta there?  I guess we need some discussion on this.

__________

Second, about free Lego boxes.
Remember how Lego boxes from the 1980's had the words USE THIS BOX FOR
STORAGE?
Well, I took hold of that idea and I still use Lego boxes for storage today.

Don't ask me the reasons why--but I will say that I am too cheap to spend
money
on Lego storage containers.  Anyway, if you look at this recent photo you will
see various Lego boxes stacked up--and they are all filled with precisely
sorted Lego parts --> http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=218027
(what's shown is about one quarter of my total Lego storage)
So I am interested in large flip-top boxes from larger sets.  Since I do not
plan to bring any Lego models to the August meeting, I will have space in my
vehicle to transport empty boxes back home.

Great - sounds like you can put my flip-top boxes to good use.  I'll set them
aside for you regardless of the status of the August meeting, and will hold
them for a future meeting.  I was going to toss them before the move, but I'll
stash them away somewhere safe so they will survive to sort another day.  I'm
still using larger LEGO retail bags for my storage - hanging them around the
attic and stuffing them onto temporary shelving.  Certainly not as structured
and environment as I'd like, but it works.

Ed

__Kevin Salm__
....Owner of more Lego than one person should be allowed to have....