Re: Identify a zig
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:27:40 GMT

On Tue, October 11, 2005 12:33 pm, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

Is it considered cheating if the robot has the
course memorized before the first run?

Actually, I think if someone could design a robot that would "appear" to follow a
memorized line, that would be encouraged, because it's all about advancing robotics.

However, wouldn't that be like going though a line-maze, without looking at the
line?  I think it would be tough.

   Probably, but (a) the organizers have said they would use the same course,
(b) the "zig zag" portion is a very specific barrier. While memorizing the
course ahead of time might not be the intent, in the event description they
encourage folks to try to "smooth out" the zig-zag, and mention some specific
dimensions of it.

Here's a picture of one of the past courses...
http://www.chibots.org/contests/may2004/pictures/DSCN3660-tb.html

   To that end, Steve, I've been thinking about the problem myself. On way
would be to have the robot detect any turn sharper than 90-deg - isn't the
zig-zag the only place where that occurs on the Chibots course?

The problem is that once the robot has passed the sharper-than-90-deg turn, it's
heading off into who-knows-where.

But, earlier I realized, once it passes a place where it's seen a sharp turn, if it
loses the line, it just needs to make a big, sweeping turn towards the known line
direction.  In the above course, the robot will be headed to the right of the
zig-zag.  In this year's course, it will be headed to the left...

So, for the most part, I can just add:
if either outside sensor saw line (within XXms)
and the middle sensor saw line (within XXms)
and no sensors currently see the line,
    turn right, slowly

   Someday I'll worry more about this. I still have to get the &*^% line maze
robot issue solved. It will now memorize the maze, but refuses to make good
right turns while solving it (and some other rather funky stuff... sigh...).

Tough, with three sensors...

Steve