Re: Identify a zig
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:33:51 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

Is it considered cheating if the robot has the
course memorized before the first run?

   Probably, but (a) the organizers have said they would use the same course,
(b) the "zig zag" portion is a very specific barrier. While memorizing the
course ahead of time might not be the intent, in the event description they
encourage folks to try to "smooth out" the zig-zag, and mention some specific
dimensions of it.

   To that end, Steve, I've been thinkiung about the problem myself. On way
would be to have the robot detect any turn sharper than 90-deg - isn't the
zig-zag the only place where that occurs on the Chibots course? The other option
is to run your baseline robot over a similar stretch (12" straight --> zig-zag
--> 12" straight) and record what it "sees" as it tries to cope with that
section. That might be a detailed enough sequence to identify the zig-zag during
the event.
   Someday I'll worry more about this. I still have to get the &*^% line maze
robot issue solved. It will now memorize the maze, but refuses to make good
right turns while solving it (and some other rather funky stuff... sigh...).

--
Brian Davis