Re: IndyLUG takes 1st place at GATS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:55:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.indylug, Paul Janssen wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.indylug, Brian Darrow wrote:
Hi Steve,
Let me chime in and say this is a fantastic idea!!!!!
If you need any assistance with some train and or monorail platforms to
mount the camera on I'd be more than willing to help out.  Building a train
car camera mount and a monorail camera mount would be cool.  I'm wonder if
COLTC would have some ideas on powering up the camera since they just did
this on there monorail last weekend.
This would most assuredly be a show highlight!  Let me know what I can do to
help.  I get up to Laffayette frequently to shop with my wife and we could
meet up if you'd like to.

After having used this at the Dayton GATS, it will be a must for our future
shows I think!! I simply powered the camera off a 9V battery. I took an airport
shuttle, and modified the front to fit in the camera. Even in an unmodfified
airport shuttle, the camera fits, but is is better fixed, since the rather stiff
wires make it not keep straight. A 9V battery will last for 2 days, easy. I
would not power it off the train track or monorail battery box (no opinion on
DCC). Most of these cameras are sensitive to interference, and don't function
when voltage is not very close to 9V. Tonight, I'll take a pic of my modified
monorail, adn put it on Brickshelf. As for trains, we quickly build a platform
and stuck the monorail car on it. For the next show, I will make either an
engine or caboose where I can transfer the camera into (or more easily make a 6
wide car where I can fit the entire monorail car into (should be easy, and fast
to switch).
We used my drive in theater (17" screen laptop) for display. Added advantage of
a laptop vs. screen is you can digitally record the footage easily. It was much
fun seeing the monorail dive under the church (and come back up!). Plus, you
have recording of accidents......(.....I didn't knock it of, really. Oh no?,
lets review shall we!!).

Have fun

Paul

just followed up with pics and a message to trains and town. forgot to
cross-post, sorry.

Paul