Subject:
November Minutes and Todo List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:39:28 GMT

The meeting convened a bit after 4pm at Steve Martin's house on Sunday,
November 10, 2002.  In attendance were Steve Martin, Mark Peterson, Jeramy
Spurgeon, and Thomas Garrison.

We installed our (not necessarily complete) layout portions.  The city
begins to take shape.  Steve M.'s train station now has an interior, and
looks done.  Mark's block is shaping up, with space for perhaps a building
or two more.  Jeramy's roundhouse (and the hill on which it lives) is
stunning, with just some details and the side of the hill still to do.
Thomas's boneyard has barely been started.

We ran some trains.  It has been established that the outer loop is the
only loop that can handle 8-wide trains.  Jeramy will ensure that all his
cars can navigate the outer loop.  Preliminary work on raising the track
up to the level of the roundhouse was done, and the first loco was moved
into the roundhouse (the turntable and associated hill still need to be
done).

We repaired to the house for a dinner of chili, taco soup, and (later)
banana cream pie.

After dinner, we went back to the barn to get some work done.  Jeramy and
Mark built up the side of Steve's mountain, incorporating the track from
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4588
as the causeway from ground level to the castle.  They also built a cool
tower.  Thomas putzed around with the elevated track supports, which are
now deliberately black in many places.  Steve ran back and forth as people
altered his sections of the layout (and couldn't find pieces to do so),
and built a couple of new Znap bridges.

After a break for pie, we returned to building and creating a list of
things that need to be done by January.

Meeting adjourned a bit after midnight (time flies when you're building. .
.)

The next meeting will be Sunday, December 8, 2002, at Steve Martin's.  A
fair bit of building needs to happen, so people can show up as early as
2pm (and leave as early as they want to).  This is the penultimate meeting
before GATS, so everyone should try to be there for at least a little
time, so things will go smoothly in January.  Dinner for the December
meetings is, I believe, still unresolved.

IndyLUG To Do

1.  A top priority at the next meeting will be making of posts for the
fence around our GATS display.  The plan is to sink wooden posts into
cement-filled Lego buckets.  Steve M. will have the posts and cement ready
for our next meeting, so we can do the work together.  Mark will bring
Lego pennant line to string between the posts.  Everyone else should bring
any spare red Lego buckets (like
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4214
), ideally with lids.  Steve M. has a lot, but we need just a few more.

2.  The turntable area adjacent to the roundhouse needs to be built, and
the turntable must be motorized and remotely controllable.  The building
of the hill for the turntable will happen at the December meeting.  Steve
H. and/or Jeramy will make the turntable.

3.  The wiring must be run at the next meeting.  This includes drilling
holes in the tables, and running wires to power all track, motors, and
points.  If you've got anything electric (and not battery-powered) it
needs to be at the next meeting.

4.  The automation for the points must be built and installed.  We can do
this together at the next meeting, with Brian showing us how.

5.  Individual layout components must be done by the January meeting---we
need to confirm by December, at the latest, that what we think will be in
the layout will be there (meaning you should reply to this message and
confirm, deny, or add to your contribution):
Leah---library, park (done)
Thomas--church (done), graveyard (started)
Steve H.---turntable?
Steve M.---castle (half done), train station (done), McDonalds (?)
Steve McD.---warehouse/loading zone (?)
Mark---city block (mostly done)
Eric---four baseplates downtown (fire station?) (?)
Jeramy---roundhouse (almost done), White Castle (?)
Everyone---Secret Project
Also, there's still plenty of space along roads (especially by the
roundhouse) for small buildings, if anyone has any ideas.

6.  Baseplates.  It would be nice to cover all the tables with baseplates.
With the contributions, it should be mostly covered, but if everyone
brought any spare green baseplates to the next meeting we can be sure.  Put a
sticker or masking tape on the bottom with your name.  We can especially use
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3334
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3865
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3497
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4187
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30281
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30280

7.  At the December meeting we should finalize plans for transporting the
layout to GATS.

8.  At the January meeting we must arrange to have people to run and look
after the display at GATS, so it would be nice if people could say be
December when they will be available.  (Jan 17, 18, 19)

9.  We could still use ideas for how to tie the baseplates together with
something more subtle than 2x2 green bricks.  Sidewalks? Street signs?
Plants?

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/