Re: November Minutes and Todo List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:46:48 GMT

TWS Garrison wrote:
IndyLUG To Do

1.  [snip]   Everyone else should bring
any spare red Lego buckets
I'll bring three. Do we prefer red?

3.  The wiring must be run at the next meeting.  This includes drilling
holes in the tables, and running wires to power all track, motors, and
points.  If you've got anything electric (and not battery-powered) it
needs to be at the next meeting.
I'll be bringing parts and instructions for 18 motorized points. I have a few
built. I haven't actually counted on the new layout how many we'll actually need.
Anybody already know?

I'll bring one level crossing. It's as good as built.

Steve M., how are we on wire and connectors? Do I need to supply any?

4.  The automation for the points must be built and installed.  We can do
this together at the next meeting, with Brian showing us how.
I've been putting my spare moments into this. I'm calling it IndyLUG Device
Control Interface (IDCI). For the geeks, it's really a Mindstorms-Friendly API,
currently implemented using LNP (Lego Network Protocol) and BrickOS. On the PC
side, my goal is to encapsulate it into one object file that you other geeks, er,
programmers can link to your control program(s), so you can just write something
like this in your button clicked event:

#include idci.h

unsigned int switch_id = This.Parent.txtSwitchID.value;
SetSwitch( switch_id, SWITCH_STRAIGHT);

Work would go faster if I were a C programmer.

More geeky discussion: The default LNP addressing scheme allows control of 15
RCX, yielding 45 outputs and 45 inputs. (We can change the scheme to control 31
RCX or 93 inputs and outputs or even 63 RCX for 189 (which approaches Steve M.s
goal of 255). But are the extra inputs and outputs worth departing from the
default LNP addressing scheme?)

WHICH reminds me, everyone bring your spare RCXs. I guess we have about 13 sets
of switches, one level crossing gate, one decoupler, one roundhouse, one truck. I
thinks that's about 21 outputs or 7 RCX. I have two.

5.  [snip]
Also, there's still plenty of space along roads (especially by the
roundhouse) for small buildings, if anyone has any ideas.
Is there room for a 32 x 48 log church?

6.  Baseplates. • I'll bring two of http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30281

7.  At the December meeting we should finalize plans for transporting the
layout to GATS.
I'll drive my wife's wagon up, assuming she doesn't need it.