 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 966
Re: Stock Yard Trials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:48:07 GMT

Robin Sather wrote:

I don't recommend Yard 1 because we need a lot of room. I'd say the
smallest siding must be 6 straight tracks at minimum. Otherwise it won't
hold much at all. The curve won't give us what we need. Plus, Lego Trains
don't look the greatest on Tight curves because they hang over pretty bad.
Moving is ok though...

I agree that the trains look much better parked on straight track.
However, I don't think all the sidings need to be the same length.  We
will definitely have some shorter trains (ie. Thomas), and could save
some real estate by having some shorter sidings.

6 track lengths is only 2.5 feet of train. That's not very much. Even for a
short train.
I'm saying that 6 should be the shortest. The others can be longer. On a curve
we don't have the room but on the straight we should have all we need.

For for absolute best looks the one Kevin is thinking of is the best. It's
what real train yards look like.

I've forgotten what this was.  Can you briefly describe it?

Kevin?

Layouts 4,5 & 6 won't work because the Switcher 'sticks' would hit the
trains. There must be a bit of space on them.

Although it takes up tons more space, we could add straight tracks in
between each switch track to solve that problem.

True, but then our savings in space are gone. So we would be back to yard 2 or 3
or the cut track one.
If each of us donated two pieces of straight it wouldn't be a hardship to any of
us... eh?

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html