 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1062
1061  |  1063
Subject:
Plexi Shielding
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 04:22:39 GMT

Hi all,

I have some more info regarding the clear shielding we want for the
layout.  Claus, Andrew and I did some contacting of various plastics
firms, learned a lot, and got quotes on various products.

I know this is old news to some of you, but we were strongly advised
against any of the acrylic products (like Lucite), because of their
brittleness, breakability, and lack of durability.  Also, the fact
that we're repeatedly putting up and taking down whatever setup we
come up with, makes the liklihood of breakage at some point quite
high.

A polycarbonate product (like Lexan) was recommended.  A 1/8" sheet,
cut to our specifications, would run us about $150.  It is much more
resistant to impact and breaking.

There was one acrylic hybrid product called PETG that kind of combines
the best of both worlds.  Although it's an acrylic, it is much more
resistant to breakage, and much tougher.  A 1/8" sheet of this stuff,
cut to our specs, would be about $140

In all cases, we were advised against using drilled holes to mount the
stuff.  It was recommended that we use some sort of track or wood or
metal, which would hold the "glass", but not actually be attached to
it.  The track itself would be mounted to the tables.  We will also
probably need to allow for more frequent vertical supports of some
sort.  Perhaps the sheet should be cut into 4 foot segments instead of
8 foot ones.

Kevin suggested to me that there is always the option of not having
the shielding, at least for this go around.  I see the point.  If we
did that, I think we should put up a rope barrier, even if it's just 1
foot away from the table.  A rope barrier (well, actually the
supports) would still present some work, but perhaps lower tech work!

Discuss amongst yourselves ...

Robin