 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1068
Re: Plexi Shielding / rope barrier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:29:29 GMT

If you guys want to do the rope barrier thing, I have 150ft of bright
turquoise/multicolor retired climbing rope (cut into a 75ft length and
either another 75 or two 37.5's) and many many Lego buckets which are good
for making post bases (filled with concrete). We'd only have to buy posts
(wood or plastic drainpipe) and screw eyes (and possibly snap links) to
attach the rope to the posts.

A very rough calculation gives me a figure of 126 feet of rope
required.

(roughly 75' around the perimeter, adding an extra 2 feet per corner
for the spacing away from the tables, and multiplying the whole thing
by 1.5 for the slack in the rope)

How many supports would we need?  Every 3 feet?  4 feet?  I little
drawing gives me about 20 to 22 supports.  Kevin, do you have enough
buckets?  Do you have concrete?  Do have time to make the rope
barrier?  1 inch PVC costs about 25 cents to 35 cents a foot.  It's
sold in 10 foot lengths (at 35 cents a foot), but there are usually
shorter pieces, or pieces with broken end, etc., which go for 25 cents
a foot.  The printing can be sanded off very quickly with 400 or even
600 grit sandpaper, which does not score the surface.

What say, Kevin?

Robin