 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8728
Re: Don't move I dropped a brick on the floor....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:04:09 GMT

Bruce and you complain about AC power every contest.  What do Derek, JohnG,
Ivan, Iain think?

Might I jump in here too? I don't have an AC enabled RCX so I'm stuck with
battery power. But its not that terrible is it? I usually use rechargable
alkalines. And then I put in fresh batteries on game day. For project X the
energizer titaniums bought me an extra four seconds :)

I think those guys are freaks from some other planet. Clearly they have access to
some sort of "super battery technology" that the rest of use can not access.

Well, I have used lithium batteries before. They give the full 9V unlike nickel
metal hydrides and seem to last forever. Also, they are much lighter than
regular batteries. The only downside is that they are super expensive.

Anyway, I figure if people really want to use AC they can. I doubt tangling
wires will be an issue in this game since most people will just approach the box
from their side. I suppose not having batteries on board would make your robot
lighter which could make it a bit faster... But I doubt that would make a huge
difference. Maybe to be completely fair the AC powered RCX's should have
batteries in them anyway. Could be a nice backup in case of another power
failure... :)

Rob