 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8684
Re: Drew Carey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:09:40 GMT

I'll never know why television studios cancel great shows--NBC cancelled Star
Trek--yeah, as if that show went nowhere...

     Actually, from the way I hear it, NBC cancelled ST:TOS, the fans
complained, NBC relented and produced another season, and the fans regretted it.
Why?  Two words:  Spock's Brain.

CBS cancelled WKRP...

     Too young to care when it aired, can't comment.

ABC canned Sports Night

     I suspect this one had something to do with the fact that most of the
target audience would rather be watching _actual_ sports coverage, and most of
the secondary audience (i.e. those who don't live and breathe based on who won
what games last night) would skip over it as being just another sports talk
show.

and Fox got rid of Firefly.  "Hello geniuses!  Anyone home???"

     Ah, see, there the question was not so much why they got rid of it (the
rating sucked like a Hoover vacuum cleaner), but why the sentanced it to death
by putting it on Friday night.  Nothing does well on Friday night, but the
networks still seem to think that they can move a moderately successful show
there and drag the entire audience along for the ride.  Besides, we're talking
about the network that has screwed over Futurama for four seasons and five
years.  If it's not the Simpsons, and it doesn't involve a bit of T&A, it stands
a 50-50 chance of being poorly handled.