 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8685
Re: Drew Carey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:33:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Laswell wrote:
I'll never know why television studios cancel great shows--NBC cancelled Star
Trek--yeah, as if that show went nowhere...

     Actually, from the way I hear it, NBC cancelled ST:TOS, the fans
complained, NBC relented and produced another season, and the fans regretted it.
Why?  Two words:  Spock's Brain.

Gamesters of Trikskelion (can't remember exact spelling...)

Sure third season was bad... but bad Trek is better than good anything-else

Fans did letter writing campaign for 2nd and 3rd season...  and it's just not
that big a deal--I know suits go for numbers, but when Star Trek did so well in
syndication in '72, I bet there were a few red-faced execs...

CBS cancelled WKRP...

Too young to care when it aired, can't comment.

Ahh, your loss...  "I just saw a giant pig painting the lobby!"

ABC canned Sports Night

     I suspect this one had something to do with the fact that most of the
target audience would rather be watching _actual_ sports coverage, and most
of
the secondary audience (i.e. those who don't live and breathe based on who >won
what games last night) would skip over it as being just another sports talk
show.

Comparing "Sports Night" to sports is like comparing "Ally McBeal" to the legal
profession - can't remmeber who said it...

Dunno if you know, but Sports Night wasn't a 'highlight sports show', it was a
half hour sitcom written and produced by Aaron Sorkin, the guy who went on to
make a relatively unknown show called 'The West Wing'... Again, no biggie, but I
think there are some ABC execs that are a little red in the face for cancelling
SN... but that's just my little hope... ;)

and Fox got rid of Firefly.  "Hello geniuses!  Anyone home???"

     Ah, see, there the question was not so much why they got rid of it (the
rating sucked like a Hoover vacuum cleaner), but why the sentanced it to >death
by putting it on Friday night.  Nothing does well on Friday night, but the
networks still seem to think that they can move a moderately successful show
there and drag the entire audience along for the ride.  Besides, we're >talking
about the network that has screwed over Futurama for four seasons and five
years.  If it's not the Simpsons, and it doesn't involve a bit of T&A, it >stands
a 50-50 chance of being poorly handled.

Yeah, see, times have changed.  Seinfeld and Cheers both did remarkably poorly
in their first few *seasons*, not just the first few eps.  Hill Street Blues as
well.. and they went on to be 'television's best' (at least, according to some)

So it's the *potential* of the series that I look at.  Firefly was awesome.  if
there was some 'stick-to-it-iveness', like there was for Cheers and such, (and
if Fox advertised it better--I mean, I didn't even know about it until I
stumbled across episode 5 whilst channel surfing one night, and I watch Fox
(sometimes, like the Simpsons and Cops) and yet, nothing...)

ANyway, now I have all the eps and loving it.  I hope that someone releases the
series on DVD sometime.

Dave K