 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8303
Re: November Hobby Show Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 05:02:07 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Allan Bedford wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but... does it have to be one OR the other?  Is
it possible to have a bit of both?

Sure.  It also depends on the size of the booth.  The robot playfield is large, so it takes good amount of space (12x12" minimum-it's a 8x8" playfield and you need to give people space around it to move).   DaveK has a 4x4 playfield, but you're really sort of limited to "drive around" type demos in that.  I think he built it for his own testing.

What about something like the bot you had on Breakfast Television... the one
that couldn't fall off the table.  I think that little bot, perched up on a
raised platform sitting on top of the table, would draw a lot of people in to
take a look.  If it helps... I'll build just such a platform, if someone will
bring a bot like that.

We've got the platforms, I think.  That shouldn't be a problem--we have them
from various competitions (ie, I think Chris has used the "rice box" and the
"hill" from rtl13/14.

I was hoping someone would suggest something like this.  I think having one or
more) building projects on the go during the weekend would be great.  This is
certainly more interactive for people to see and would provide additional
drawing power to the booth.

We run into a small problem-who's bricks, and what picture.  I think between us
all, we might be able to scare up a few 48x48's (say a 192x96 mosaic) but the
issue is getting all the bricks.  I'm not sure anyone has that many bricks, and
keeping them all separate is difficult.

That, and a picture of what?  How about something Canadian, like...I dunno,
fields of wheat in Saskatchewan or something...Parliament buildings? City Hall?

Calum