 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7379
Re: Life is interesting...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 19:02:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:
David Koudys wrote:
It's two studs wider!  It's 50 studs by 50 studs (not the 48x48 like my 12
others).

Wow.

That's kinda interesting!

I have 1 baseplate from when I was a kid--probably got it somewhere in the
middle of the '70's and it was 48 x 48.

So where did these 50x50's come from?

Ya, I have one of these that I used as kid.  I must have used it a lot
too because many of the studs are well worn.  Some to the point of the
Lego logo missing, other are almost dome shaped.

They are a bit annoying these days though, because they don't fit into
regular patterns of baseplate on a module.  But definitely cool to have.

Derek

I know the baseplate I had when I was a kid was very well used.  It was also
missing a corner, after i discovered that these baseplates make a perfectly
acceptable frisbee (in a pinch).

So when I look at the stack of baseplates, I can always pick out my
original, for a 3 stud by 3 stud corner is missing.

It's also the same baseplate that I made a gear train on--8-24, 8-24, 8-24,
etc, with the 'old style' 24 tooth gears (with the axle crosses near the
edge), and connected a 4.5 volt motor at one end, and let it run--the gears
near the motor were spinning furiously, whilst the axle out at the other end
barely rotated at all.  then I wanted to see what would happen if I stopped
that axle-out.

My first gear breakage.

Live and learn.

These new 24t gears are so much better.