 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6817
Re: rtl 13 Pics and Video
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 02:05:45 GMT

"Trevyn Watson" <4tee2@rogers.com> wrote in message

Separating bricks from rice shouldn't be too hard, EXCEPT for the rice
that would end up INSIDE the bricks. So I thought to myself, "Self, how
could one stop rice from getting INSIDE the bricks?" and then I thought,
"Self, one could put a 2x4 plate (of the same colour) on the bottom of
the brick." and then I thought, "Self, that's and excellent idea! Why
don't you (I?) go post that to the rtlToronto newsgroup?" and then I
thought "Self, I think I will go do that." And so here I am.

I'm sort of thinking that no one's addressed the issue of bringing rice out
onto our side of the feild, so there's no penalty thus far for bringing rice
out.

...and I theorise it's going to stay that way, because NO ONE is going to
come up with a way to measure the amount of rice thrown out of the bin onto
each side.

I also thought, "What would happen if one put a plate on the bottom of a
2x4 brick, and a tile on top?" and so I did. It turns out that if one
does that, one gets a shape whose short sides are 0.006 cm (~0.002" for
you inchy people) away from being square. This would make manipulation
of the bricks far easier.

That's very cool, it'd be identical to mini-versions of the cubes we used
for Maxwell's Demons and BlockStacking.

And another thing I thought of: where should the white bricks be at the
end? Should they be back in the box? Or can they be out on the floor?

And what about the black bricks? Should they be contained within your
bot, or on the floor on your side of the arena?

These are things we argued at dinner, and I think we all agreed that we'll
count the blocks within the "negative space" (Not-bin space, [-shaped),
since if you say "Within the robot" you have to decide what's a bin, it
limits the design to HAVING a bin, etc.....  you'd impose a design
restriction based on a scoring method.

    Iain