 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5986
Re: Learning from LOR...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 00:50:49 GMT

I so wish I could make it on Friday to see LOR in person! But its my
birthday, and I wil be out for dinner with my family. Hope you guys have
fun. Oh yeah, can you bug Iain and tell him to write me back? He owes me a
few emails :)
Rob

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:
So here's a few things I learned whilst building LOR...

My usual 'reinforce until the cows come home' doesn't work when the idea is
to keep it light

Artifacts increase exponentially per every change--to eliminate artifacts,
you must start rebuilding from the bottom up.

Balancing while motionless is the easy part--balancing whilst moving, not so
easy.

"Oh, I have to change that one part to this other part" is a half hour
endeavour--minimum--when all wiring and air tubing are attached.

3 RIS's--$299 CDN each
6 Pnu Kits--$50ish CDN each
first BrickLink order--$12 CDN
8 Large Technic Turntables from Spectrum--whatever CDN
Seeing your 'bot take its first step--Priceless
(but then it fell over... so it's not done yet...)

It comes down to two problems--

1--the feet--I cannot, for the life of me, get a good foot--I'll try more
ways tonight

2--mounting the RCX's--nothing seems to allow me to get the RCX's on LOR
with safety, security, and any semblance of them being able to communicate
with one another.

Anyway, no new pics but here's what I have so far--

http://sparky.i989.net/mmisc3.htm

Dave K