 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5535
Re: The portlands below altenburg
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:59:14 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:

I'll bring part of my station to the dinner tonight. (Don't worry - it
fits inside a shoebox with room to spare!)

So, I wanted to mention this at dinner, but didn't get around to it, and all
of a sudden, only Technic people were left... :)

The layout is getting too large.  We need to cut it down in size quick, or
we'll have a lot of unused space which looks bad.  Is there any way we can
reduce the number of modules?  That's a LOT of scenery to build to high
quality (ie, we want to be like MonLUG quality) and density.  I'm worried
there won't be enough buildings and more importantly detail if new sections
are put in.

Calum

Well, the way I see it is like this:

We spent a lot of time wrangling with the track geometry, and the
original "core" layout is as small as we can get, and still have the
features we wanted, ie: two track levels, a perpendicular 2-level
crossover, three independent loops, and the ability to get a train from
any point A to any point B within the system.

I'm very happy with that base design.

I was also aware when we were building it, that it leaves a lot of
modules with just straight track runs, and that people would want to
expand on that.  So I figured that if someone wants to speak up for one
or more core modules, that if they want to add extra expansion modules,
that's cool with me.

Especially since the proposed expansion is a port facility that will get
people excited -- it's a cool concept --, and since Jeff VW is doing it,
I think it'll come out looking stellar - look at his truck depot and
other modules from Train 2/3.

So what I've decided to do is work like crazy to catch up on my
commitments.  I think you're right; not every module is going to be
chock-a-block full of chewy model goodness this time.  But I'm hoping
that if this event goes well, we can run another one pretty soon after,
adding and revising.

Basically, I'm pledging that I'm going to try to get the modules *I'm*
directly responsible for up to as high a standard as I can, and help and
encourage other people to do the same with theirs.  I'm hoping that if I
bring a few buildings to the monthly dinners, people will want to
contribute their own.  I'm thinking that if we train-heads organize a
few open get-togethers of our own, people will be inspired to build neat
stuff, one-upping and adding to one another's work.

But I'm betting that the real crystallizing event will be Train 4 -- and
that it'll help us get more momentum rolling for Train 5 and onward.

Who knows, maybe Bruce & Chris will even come through with their Gang
Clubhouse!

Jeff E

PS:  Did you see 10045?  Did you SEE 10045?  (
http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Set=10045-1 ) I think we can dress
the set up with train signals galore now! Woo woo!  Darn shame that I
used almost all my trans plates up in the stained-glass windows.  Doh!