 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 531
Re: new game/rule help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:03:30 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ka-On Lee writes:
Can I just drop a static fence to keep my black blocks in, so others cannot
take it?

Sure.  Go right ahead.  But it has to start from a unit 2x2' square first.
And you have to get them into your corral to begin with.

Can I unfold a big fence along the middle line of the field, to keep others
from coming over?

Again, if you wish to bet your farm on a reliable fence that unfolds from
2x2' sure...

This come along with the big fance idea - can I throw blocks over the fence?

Go right ahead.  One of our best marble sorter designs, Cinderblock (Jeff
Elliott) went up to the skirtwall and dropped marbles out of the ring.
But do not THROW blocks out, there is an audience which is often pressed
right up against the side of the playfield.  You run the risk of having a
group decision against you that your robot is unsafe.  This is why we've
never seen arcing batteries, giant lead weighted hammers etc.

Does the black blocks counts if the robot(s) keep them in the body (i.e. mobile
fence)?

Yes.  If you had black blocks still inside the body of the robot, and those
blocks were on your side, then they would count.  If there was a situation
where the robot was parked over the line, only those blocks on your side
would count. Ie, say your robot was at the line, and only the front sensor
was over onto your side.  The blocks in the robot wouldn't count as they
weren't physically in the airspace of your side.

The sentence is incomplete, so I guess the score is black blocks minus white
blocks on your starting side?

Correct.  Black on your side - white on your side = your score.

What is colour reading values of the playfield ground and wall?

No idea.  It varies depending on lighting, shadows, dirt etc.  Program in
variability into your sensor reading subroutines to be flexible.

Calum