 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5066
Re: Train width clearance for wide turns, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:53:13 GMT

Ok I figured out the size of the Go Train last night.

Passenger Cars:
Length: 50
8 wide length: 48
Bogie plate pin sits between the 6 and 7th studs from the ends.
38 studs between bogie plate pins.

Engine:
Length: 45
8 wide length: 44
Bogie plate pin sits between the 11 and 12th studs from the back.
Bogie plate pin sits between the 10 and 10th studs from the front.
24 studs between bogie plate pins.
8 wide starts at the front.
8 wide stops one stud front the back.

The couplers are not included in these dimensions.  They don't effect
the swing out of the cars anyway.

The passenger cars are what cut the inside of the corners the most, the
Engine sticks out to the outside the most.

I'll try and do up a proper diagram for the wide turn soon, but for now
you should be able to dumbie up some cars to test with.

Derek

Derek Raycraft wrote:

Jeff Elliott wrote:

So I mocked up the support for Altenburg on Sunday.  I've got a support
grid which provides baseplate support every 16 studs; it seems to be
quite sturdy.  However, I'm not sure where to put the pillars - the
turns are likely to suck up a lot of space.

Derek, it'd be helpful if I knew what the clearance specs were for
different turn geometries for your Big Beast (tm).  Could you at least
post a simply diagram of your different cars - y'know, 8xN with bogies
of size X at positions Y and Z?  That way I can mock up a model and put
support together.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to dig my cars out last night.  I'll do it
tonight and post bogie locations and lenghts for tomorrow.  The good
thing with the sweeping turns is the cars won't stick out as much.

Derek