 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4932
Re: "Core" layout features for rtlTrainN
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:18:26 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:
_Description_: The modules, in at least one place, form a ring and the
engineers can stand inside. • <snip>

You can do this with a figure eight making one of the "loops" open for
engineers and the other one closed with a harbour or mountain or whatever.
Other pros include the fact you can differentiate the audience from the
rtlToronto members, which is if anything, psychologically good for
maintaining order.

Yes, this had occured to me as well.  Minimum # of modules is 11 to get
this effect with a figure-8 though, and that's a lot for the amount of
"core" comittment we're getting.

(B)    A high-low crossover

<snip>

I really like this idea.  I mentioned to JeffVW on the ride home from
Washington that you could half the requirements for height and run in if you
dropped one track under the surface of the module by cutting a path below
the plywood.  The "under" track goes down eight and the "above" track goes
up eight".  Requires creative benchwork.

A number of my designs revolve around this idea, but in general I've
assumed that we'd lower an entire module, or raise all the others.  If
the whole module is, say, 4 bricks lower, it's easy to build a 'ditch'
to put the track in.

(C)    Mountain • <snip>

Another pro is that it visually separates two areas-ie, two regions, two
towns, two time periods, etc.

Yeah, see my "Hightown"  design.

(D)    Tunnel • <snip>
I dont' mind cheating btw :)

with the number of basic bricks I've got, I'm in favour of not putting
wood between the two tracks (ie: raising the module) because it adds a
*lot* to the clearance requirements, and it prevents the possibility of
underground stations and a lot of other neat-o things you can do with a
hillside.

(F)    Multiple independent loops • <snip>

Ideally I'd like to see two independent tracks.  It allows for a lot of fun
and staging flexibility.

Yeah, I think this one is a given.  My Hightown design can support as
many as three or even four independent loops.  If four, the fourth is
totally separate, but with three you can actually drive a train between
them.  This limits the amount of space for anything else, tho.

Jeff E