 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4909
4908  |  4910
Subject:
"Core" layout features for rtlTrainN
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:12:38 GMT

I've captured one of my deisgns that I think is fairly good:

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/HighTown1.gif

Features:
* 10 & 2/2 modules
* 2 full loops for added engineer time
* "Hightown" area raised 18 bricks encompassing 2 modules
* Tunnel under Hightown for the lower loop
* Either loop could be built for extra-large train clearance (all
switches straight-thru)
* Steep grade (1.0) connecting track between loops [optional]
* skinny "inside" area

Here are some of the things I thought about while iterating to this
design:
- The elevated section can be relatively brick-cheap: If you build a
cliff "wall" and put a tunnel in it, you're basically done.
- To do Hightown, you can either:
(1) raise the 2 modules entirely
(2) put support in to raise the baseplates
(3) fully brick-sculpt it
(4) mix options (2) and (3) (to put in depressions or subway entrances,
etc.)
- If more people show, we can extend the length by adding 2 modules and
a 1/2 module to extend the slope.
- We can lose the slope entirely, or if we get more commitment, extend
it and make it 0.2 sloped which will allow heavier trains to climb it
- We can put a siding aimed outward on the outside loop for extra
modules
- Hightown could be 3 modules across if we like - this opens the
possibility of carrying some of its loop on a bridge which crosses over
the lower loop
- We could put a third independent loop over in the module-and-a-half
area if we wanted more track
- some of the modules (esp. on the right) have little mainline track,
giving room for industrial sidings, etc. without dominating the module
- Right-side of main loop could really occur anywhere across the width
of the module, for a "train thru middle of town" look
- I've got a version with two outside main loops and a crossover.
There's a *LOT* of track, but if you like it that way....
- There's high potential for monorail coolness between high town and the
lower areas.  How about an underground monorail station? :D  Or a
ground-level one that becomes elevated as it passes over the cliff...
- This layout has a *lot* of flexibility.

In my mind, Hightown is built around 16-long or maybe 24-long cars, and
has tight tolerances, which allows us to crowd it with buildings &
features and get a "European" look.  In contrast, the lower area is more
modern-looking, has wide corner clearances for massive train cars, and
possibly has a more industrial feel.

The sloped track, if done at 1.0 slope, will only take very high
motor/weight ratio trains, and so could have a specialty look of its
own.

The regulators could be built into building or hill facades on the
inside of the loop.  It's tight, but livable in a half-module space. :)

There are no low areas blocked by high areas - the diorama slopes up and
away from the viewer in all places, so the vistas work properly.

Thoughts?

Jeff E