 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4925
Re: "Core" layout features for rtlTrainN
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:15:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:
_Description_: The modules, in at least one place, form a ring and the
engineers can stand inside.
_Pros_: You can keep the speed regulators inside and out of harm's way
_Cons_: Tends to make the layout "thinner" - it's usually only 1 module
thick at any point, which limits the size of building you can place in a
town.

You can do this with a figure eight making one of the "loops" open for
engineers and the other one closed with a harbour or mountain or whatever.
Other pros include the fact you can differentiate the audience from the
rtlToronto members, which is if anything, psychologically good for
maintaining order.

(B) A high-low crossover

_Description_: A point where two tracks cross one another at heights
differing by enough to pass a train on the lower route. (usu ~16+ bricks
delta) eg: my tunnel/siding mountain module.
_Pros_: Very cool-looking when done right.  Very fun to build
_Cons_: If you want all the track to be continuous and linked, this
involves a 30+ track sloped run-in.  See also: Mountain

I really like this idea.  I mentioned to JeffVW on the ride home from
Washington that you could half the requirements for height and run in if you
dropped one track under the surface of the module by cutting a path below
the plywood.  The "under" track goes down eight and the "above" track goes
up eight".  Requires creative benchwork.

(C) Mountain
_Description_: A big hill of Lego bricks, possibly supporting track.
_Pros_: Looks very cool if done well
_Cons_: Really needs to be at the centre of the layout, or else it
blocks the sight to the lower parts of the layout.  Gobbles up vast
tracts of land and thousands of bricks.  I've also noticed that if you
place a loop of track at height, many many modules have to participate
in supporting high track, which means everyone has to be into building
hills.

Another pro is that it visually separates two areas-ie, two regions, two
towns, two time periods, etc.

(D) Tunnel
_Description_: A hole into which trains go, and come out again
_Pros_: *Everyone* wants tunnels in their layout.  High neatness
quotient.  Also makes dealing with mountains easier, and ALLOWS MORE
TRACK PER SQUARE INCH (CM) OF LAYOUT.
_Cons_: Kind of implies a mountain, unless we cheat and raise the
baseplates up 16 bricks high.  Which is certainly possible...

I dont' mind cheating btw :)

(F) Multiple independent loops
_Description_: A layout topology which allows two independent trains on
separate regulators, should we choose.
_Pros_: Doubles number of engineer-hours. :)  Elegant.
_Cons_: Wow, this eats a lot of space

Ideally I'd like to see two independent tracks.  It allows for a lot of fun
and staging flexibility.

Calum